Ask questions about the forum, make suggestions, report bugs.
This forum uses Markdown syntax. If you're not familiar with Markdown (a limited version of which Discord uses), check out a cheatsheet. This site has its eccentricities but most of that should apply.
As a bonus, it also takes HTML! So if you want extra linebreaks, through a
<br /> in there; if you want a custom image sizing, you can use the HTML img tags instead of the Markdown shorthand. Fair amount of flexibility, should you want it!
One thing that isn't totally supported yet is manual iframes. Any YouTube links, so long as they have line breaks around them (i.e. each link gets its own line), should generate an embed... ditto for some other common sites.
If you need to host a file over 1MB, you can use the Are.na channel Pfeilstorch hosting. DM me for permissions/to be added to the Inexact Sciences group (or have the channel permissions updated to be shared with your personal account).
- 20 replies
There are 20 replies. Estimated reading time: 9 minutes
- suspendedreason2021-02-12 04:24:37.765Z2021-02-12 04:36:58.883Z
Did some doodling while listening to a 'cast. If you like any, comment and I'll turn it into a lil icon/favicon. Alternatively, DIY inspo!
- crispy2021-02-12 04:34:08.742Z
These are really fantastic, I didn't realize how much artistic talent you had!
Here's a few of my favorites, with nicknames
Get Fucked, Carry On
Slightly Less Abstract
A few thoughts:
- Probably a hybridization of Abstract and Slightly Less Abstract with maybe of just a little bit of _Angry) in there would be optimal.
- I kinda think we should have text like this style
- In reply tosuspendedreason⬆:suspendedreason2021-02-14 03:09:01.910Z
Little less friendly in this version. Still working on the others.
(Not an artist so if anyone else wants to try their hand or chip in, feel free. I know Beiser has strong opinions about aesthetics...)
- suspendedreason2021-02-12 16:55:21.488Z
Fail-stork, German for arrow stork, see https://www.audubonva.org/news/2019/9/1-pfeilstorch
- In reply tobeiser⬆:suspendedreason2021-02-12 20:32:01.802Z
@veryragged has pointed out I'm wrong on this, it's (fittingly) pronounced "file storage"
- suspendedreason2021-02-12 22:07:21.640Z
If people have feelings about nested comments, feel free to chime in. Still trying to figure out the right balance between forum-style and Reddit-style
- suspendedreason2021-02-12 22:40:20.230Z
There are probably some cases (e.g. this thread) where having each comment be a high-level issue, and everything replying to it nested, is best. And then some cases where keeping the thread rolling, in a fluid discussion instead of all broken up, is best. I guess we'll just have to feel out the differences that count.
I’m sorta against them—I already feel like i’m chafing against the limits of per-point discussion. Would rather have dissensus-style linked quoting, maybe even with 4chan style backlinking if that’s easy to do.
- Bbeiser2021-02-17 01:50:44.819Z
constantly confused by the theme—in particular:
– unvisited thread titles are light grey
-- visited thread titles are black
This reads the wrong way around to me.
- suspendedreason2021-02-17 02:24:33.511Z
Yeah CSS is gonna be wonky for a while because it all additions are overriding an existing, unchangeable stylesheet.
I could just (and am tempted to) pull a CSS reset. But good report, I'll grab the class names and start fixing.
- In reply tobeiser⬆:suspendedreason2021-02-17 02:26:53.490Z
Are you mobile primary or desktop primary? I'm never on my phone so that part of the site is less well styled. But would be good to know for future bug reports
- Pplover2021-02-17 15:25:01.178Z
What is the public/private expectation here? Will Pfeilstorch be crawled? Just want to be correctly circumspect.
- suspendedreason2021-02-20 20:54:13.161Z2021-02-20 21:06:51.006Z
Hey guys, minor announcement!
Per @hazard's request, we've added some experimental functionality on posts. If you quote a post from Op, the quoted section will be highlighted in the original post itself, with a link to the quoting comment. The idea is to replicate some of Google Docs' line-by-line comment functionality. The links are two-way: you can navigate from the quoting comment to the quoted line and vice-versa. Here's an example (see top-level post for the backlink):
One thing that isn't totally supported yet is manual iframes.
Right now, only the very base functionality has been implemented, and crudely—down the road, I'd like to:
- Figure out a system to handle multiple commenters quoting the same line
- Make the backlink-highlighting optional (so you can quote without adding the markdown highlight, if desired)
- Extending the functionality across comment quoting (i.e. not just for op).
- Ensure formatting is preserved in altered quotings/quoteds.
In the meantime, send your bug reports/feedback/feature ideas over!
- suspendedreason2021-03-13 18:57:30.020Z
Had a weird glitch today where a Crispy comment was displayed with my text body and display name. Something is up with the store so if you see something weird, lemme know and I can try to replicate.
Logging a long-term feature proposal: separation of "posts" and "threads." Posts have nestable comments, and the top-level post is visually dominant. Threads have non-nested comments, and the top-level post is visually equivalent in weight to all preceding posts. Posts are more like lectures with a Q&A session afterward. Threads are more like open-discussion seminars.